Wednesday, November 10, 2004

| | Comments (9)

My Favorite Cowl

Yarn: 220 yds very soft Aran weight wool

Needles: #8 / 5mm 20" circular needles

Measurements: Circumference - 22"; Height: 9"

Gauge: 4.5 sts / 6 rows per inch over Stockinette St

----------------------------------------------------------

Cast-on 99 sts.

Join stitches without twisting and PURL the first round.

Knit one round. Purl one round.

Knit every round for 8 inches.

Purl one round. Knit one round. Bind-off all stitches Purlwise.

----------------------------------------------------------

The cowl above is fully extended :) for photo purposes but I usually wear it scrunched up...

---------------------------------------------------------

Want to Use Different Yarn?

Chunky: 4sts per inch #9 needles - use 88 sts (about 200 yards)

Bulky: 3.5sts per inch #10 needles - use 77sts (about 190 yards)

Super Bulky: 3sts per inch #13 needles - use 66sts (about 180 yards)

©2004 Bonne Marie Burns

(originally mentioned on ChicKnits January 17, 2004)

9 Comments

Becky said:

Oooh, this is spiffy. I'd love to do this with some furry yarn at the top. Thanks for sharing, B-M!

Katie said:

One tip -- don't make one in white; I received one as a gift and whenever I wear it people think it's a neck brace and ask whether I've been in an accident. :)

Hey Bonne Marie, I'm about half done with a 3XChic, the first sweater I've ever knit for me (usually knit for my kids instead). Love the pattern.

Bonne Marie said:

Katie - you're killin' me - that is so funny! :)

I'm making one in Royal Blue - MUCH easier to keep Fresh!

Michelle said:

I vote for Scarlett Johannson as Edie! :)

cari said:

Ah, what perfect timing! Just last night I was coveting the cowl that our dear girlreaction Carolyn was wearing, thinking I really should make one for myself. (I hope you don't mind that I'm campaigning heavily to get her to move back here to NYC.) Come morning, here you are with a cowl pattern. Thanks!

Toby Wollin said:

Knit 'til the cowls come home, eh?

Jennifer said:

Thank you for such a simple and brilliant pattern, Bonne Marie! What a great way to use up some of my leftover Debbie Bliss....

froggy said:

oh i just love it. i have to knit one! perfect timing too.

Jennifer said:

Bonne Wow what great timing you have I just this morning realized that my christmas list was getting longer as the time was getting shorter I did some stash diving and 5 hours later one gift down and now only a 10 to go Thanks for the great idea and pattern.

P.S. That great cardi that you made with the cotton-ease how many skeins did it take? I saw it on sale and I didn't know how many to buy so that I'll be ready when you publish the pattern.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Bonne Marie published on November 9, 2004 9:58 PM.

Tuesday, November 9, 2004 was the previous entry in this blog.

Thursday, November 11, 2004 is the next entry in this blog.

Powered by Movable Type 4.01