I recently made a simple stockinette hooded cardigan out
of worsted weight cotton.
I made 3 attempts at conventional "pick-up-and-knit"
style button bands - each time I picked up around 400 (!)
stitches around the fronts and hood. It is a LONG sweater.
No matter what I did, the fronts rolled inwards in a most
THEN, I remembered seeing a VERTICAL button band somewhere,
so I tried making up a version of it.
I cast on 10 sts and worked:
RS: K2, P1, K1, P2, K1, P1, K2
WS: slip first stitch purlwise (with yarn
in front), P1, K1, P1, K2, P1, K1, P1, slip last stitch purlwise
(with yarn in front)
I worked the buttonholes in the middle two stitches.
Then I mattress stitched it on.
This has now become my favorite button band and is landing
on all my projects.